Why do babies smile?

I don't know if this is normal or not, but Zach smiles in his sleep. He has done it since he was one day old in the hospital. I've heard some people say it's just gas, but he does it ALL OF THE TIME! And just recently I've caught him smiling while he's awake too. We got a few pictures of him smiling ear to ear and it looks as if he's dreaming. I'm not exactly sure what babies dream about, but it sure is cute. What I really want to know is if it could really be a true smile, or is it just as they say 'a little bit of gas'?

3 comments:

Elliott family said...

he's smiling!! go with it, he is happy to be here and he feels blessed to have such great parents:)

Haley Family said...

Hey, a smile is a smile any way you look at it! He is happy about something even it is gas!

The Armstrong's said...

Lilly does the same thing! Just wait it actually gets bigger and bigger! At some point it looks like a big laugh without sound. It is very enjoyable to watch!